Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Running playlist for your inner musical theater nerd

You're thinking, who actually listens to Broadway showtunes when they run?




All I really need for a good run is something uptempo and I happen to love musicals. Often I just turn on the "Broadway Showstoppers" channel on Pandora (OMGSOGOOD) but thought I'd help you all embrace your inner theater nerd.  Purists beware; a couple of the links are to the movie versions because I like those better.

One Day More- Les Miserables (warmup)
Defying Gravity- Wicked
Take Me or Leave Me- Rent
The Phantom of the Opera- The Phantom of the Opera
You're the One That I Want- Grease
I Feel Pretty- West Side Story
Good Morning, Baltimore- Hairspray
Out Tonight- Rent
Footloose- Footloose
All That Jazz-  Chicago  (cooldown)

Total time: 42 minutes (including warmup and cooldown)





Obviously, the tempo for these songs will be best suited to slower runners like yours truly. You can speed songs up in GarageBand or similar programs to match your pace if you subscribe to the BPM (beats per minute) training theory, which I find really interesting. It's a great way to work on speed! For me personally, I find that the way a song makes me feel is even more important than the BPM, which is why a playlist like this gets me through a run just as well as a playlist full of Pitbull and Katy Perry.

By the way, there are several more songs from some of these musicals that would work- Rent and La Vie Boheme from Rent, We Both Reached For the Gun from Chicago, We Go Together from Grease are all fun running songs. And I've had some great runs listening to tunes from Aladdin and Frozen. In fact, I may have to do a Disney playlist at some point. #disnerd

If you want to look up the BPM for any song, this website is awesome.

Anyone else listen to Rent far, far too much in high school? I find that the older I get, the more I identify with Benny, which is a sobering thought.

Is this playlist way outside your running music comfort zone and are you thinking I am totally insane?







No comments:

Post a Comment