Sunday, January 18, 2015

Recipe: Cranberry Almond Muffins







I love these muffins. Baked goods can be kinda dangerous for me when I'm trying to lose weight, so I don't do it as much as I'd like. Oh, and vegan baking? You can eat as much batter as your little heart desires.




 
Cranberry Almond Muffins

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup almond meal*
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup almond milk (vanilla or plain, I use vanilla unsweetened)
1/2 cup applesauce or coconut oil
1 tsp almond extract
1 cup dried cranberries**
1/2 cup slivered or sliced almonds

*if you don't have any almond meal, just use a full 2 cups of whole wheat flour
**you can also sub fresh or dried cherries for the cranberries (I originally conceived these as cherry almond muffins)



Makes 12 small muffins or 6 large muffins.

Preheat oven to 375. Prepare your muffin tin- I use coconut oil to grease it up.





Whisk together dry ingredients (flour through sugar). Make a well in the center.

Combine wet ingredients (milk through extract) and pour into well; gently mix.





Add cranberries and almonds and mix evenly into batter.

Pour into greased muffin tin. You can sprinkle some slivered/sliced almonds if you're fancy like that.

Bake for 18-20 minutes (for smaller muffin pan), 25-27 minutes (for larger muffin pan).

Let cool for a few minutes, then remove from pan onto cooling rack. In my house that means either letting the dog out or having to stand directly in front of said muffins like a prison guard.







Nutritional Info (for 1 large muffin; halve if using small muffin tin)

Calories: 385
Fat: 11 g
Carbohydrates: 68 g
Sugar: 37 g
Protein: 9 g
Fiber: 8 g

I can think of healthier things to eat for breakfast, but they are delicious, convenient to grab on the go, and far better for you than the big ass muffins at Panera or the local coffee shop/breakfast joint.







Happy baking!




No comments:

Post a Comment